This article is over 2 years old
Three men and one woman from US missionary group gang raped by attackers who shot at survivors before demanding $3m ransom
Six men from a US mission have been released after their abduction by a gang in Haiti last week, local media said.
Reuters news agency confirmed their release with a US embassy spokeswoman, who said that one American and one Canadian were among the six.
The women abducted along with the three men were released separately late on Sunday night after French and Haitian security forces intervened, according to the Haitian news site Mances Autonome. The men were freed after their captors split them into separate groups, the report said.
At least two of the women were gang raped by the attackers, who had shot at the survivors as they were coming out of the Kemy-Kon mission hospital in the Chastain-le-Grand neighbourhood of the capital, Port-au-Prince. The group had been taking a paediatric unit that is being refurbished.
The three men had already been found, rescued by residents.
French police were able to contact local Haitian police and members of the general public about the men, allowing them to help save them, the report said.
“The area is very hot and very noisy,” an unnamed reporter told Mances Autonome. “So when some [French] people arrived and heard what was happening, they notified a local policeman by radio.”